Student Rights and Responsibilities
STUDENT RIGHTS – I HAVE THE RIGHT TO:
- Know what student financial aid programs are available at NMMI and how they work.
- Know the deadlines (if any) for submitting applications for each financial aid program.
- Know the cost of attendance.
- Know how my financial need was determined, including how various expenses in my budget are considered.
- Know what resources are considered in the calculation of my award.
- Request an explanation of the various programs in my financial aid package.
- Consult with persons in the Financial Aid Office concerning my application for assistance, budgeting and/or financial problems which might arise.
- Accept or decline all or part of the financial aid package offered to me.
- Cancel any loan proceeds received via EFT up to fourteen days after the credit has been applied
- Know the definition and determinations of Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined by the Financial Aid Office.
- Know the appeal process for Financial Aid Suspension
- Expect that all information reported by your and/or your family will remain confidential and cannot be released without your written consent according to the Privacy Act.
STUDENT RESPONSIBILITIES – I MUST:
- Check my NMMI email on a regular basis once enrolled at NMMI.
- Complete all application forms accurately and submit them on time to the appropriate office.
- Provide correct information. In most instances, misreporting information on financial aid forms is a violation of federal law and may be a criminal offense, which could result in indictment under the U.S. Criminal Code.
- Provide any additional documentation, verification information, or corrections requested by the Financial Aid Office or the agency to which I submitted my application before any funds will be disbursed.
- Report receipt of or changes to any outside resources including, but not limited to: scholarships and military benefits.
- Be responsible for reading, understanding, and retaining copies of all forms I am asked to sign.
- Accept responsibility for all agreements I sign.
- Be responsible for knowing the sources of financial aid which I receive and whether the aid is a loan, grant, or scholarship. If the aid is a loan, I must know to whom repayment is to be made and the terms of repayment.
- Keep the Financial Aid Office and my lender informed of my correct address at all times – while I am in school and after graduation – while any loans are outstanding.
Be responsible to inform the Financial Aid Office of any change in my student or financial status.Be responsible to complete an exit interview online at www.studentloans.gov prior to my separation from NMMI either by graduation or withdrawal if I have loans.