A new cadet enters NMMI as a “RAT” (Recruit-At-Training) and becomes immersed in NMMI’s most enduring tradition, the Old Cadet – New Cadet System, which initiates new cadets to the Institute. The responsibility for teaching and training new cadets resides solely with the old cadets.
The RAT system teaches and promotes:
- Academic excellence, leadership, character development and physical fitness
- Self-discipline, time management, and personal responsibility
- Respect for authority, humility, and the forms of military and non-military courtesy
- Neatness, cleanliness, orderliness, punctuality and attention to detail
- NMMI history and tradition (school songs, yells, and other required cadet knowledge).
- Unity and spirit that will last a lifetime as the result of shared experiences in a challenging environment.