RULES OF CONDUCT FOR NMMI VISITORS AND EVENT PARTICIPANTS
The New Mexico Military Institute (NMMI) community is made up of a network of people, including alumni, parents, staff, Regents and friends, with a common interest in NMMI. It is of utmost importance to NMMI that every person visiting the campus or attending an event sponsored by or connected to NMMI has a positive and rewarding experience. NMMI invites all alumni, parents, sponsors, volunteers, attendees, vendors and visitors (“Participants”) to help us realize a safe, respectful and positive experience for everyone. When you visit the campus or participate in an event, you are contributing to the overall experience, which makes us all accountable to each other.
The Board of Regents of NMMI has established a Visitor Code of Conduct in its Operations & Procedures Policy Manual that applies to all Participants. This summary is designed to ensure that all Participants understand what behavior is expected and what behavior will not be tolerated. NMMI expects all Participants to abide by the Operations & Procedures Policy Manual while on campus or at any NMMI event. This includes NMMI-related social events at off-site locations and in related online communities and social media.
NMMI expects that Participants will:
1. Be considerate and respectful and refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior, materials and speech.
2. Adhere to all NMMI rules and policies and instructions from NMMI personnel.
3. Speak up if they observe anything at an event that conflicts with this Code of Conduct. If you are being harassed or feel uncomfortable, notice that someone else is being harassed or have any other concerns, please contact a member of NMMI’s staff immediately.
Unacceptable behavior from any Participant will not be tolerated. Unacceptable behavior includes, but is not limited to:
1. Intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or demeaning speech, materials, or conduct by any Participant.
2. Engaging in violence, threats of violence, or violent language directed against another person.
3. Making sexist, racist, homophobic or other discriminatory jokes, insults or other language.
4. Possessing or using illegal drugs while attending NMMI events, being on campus while under the influence of illegal drugs or while intoxicated, or violating NMMI’s Operations & Procedures Policy Manual provisions regarding the use of alcoholic beverages.
5. Failing to adhere to NMMI Operations & Procedures Policy Manual provisions. Examples include but are not limited to failure to adhere to safety rules that prohibit animals on campus or at NMMI events other than service animals and prohibit the use of recreational drones over its campus or at NMMI events, ignoring safety barriers or moving barricades.
6. Using any NMMI property without prior authorization, such as golf carts or vehicles.
7. Engaging in inappropriate communications with current NMMI cadets, such as addressing cadet dress or demeanor or issuing commands to cadets.
8. Taking photos or videos within the campus or event environment for use on social media, including Twitter and other online media, without the prior permission of the individuals or their parents or the owners of the content therein, or contrary to the provisions of the Operations & Procedures Policy Manual.
9. Engaging in any boisterous, lewd or offensive behavior or language.
10. Failing to obey any NMMI rule or regulation or NMMI staff directions.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated. Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately. If a Participant engages in unacceptable behavior, NMMI may take any action it deems appropriate, including warning or expelling the offender from the campus or NMMI event with no refund. For more egregious behavior, NMMI may, in its discretion, temporarily ban or permanently expel a Participant from attendance at any NMMI event or from NMMI’s campus and pursue appropriate legal action.
NMMI is dedicated to providing a harassment-free and inclusive experience for everyone regardless of gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, nationality, race, age, religion, or other protected category. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
This statement of the Rules of Conduct is the result of NMMI’s Board of Regent’s commitment to create and nurture a welcoming, respectful, and collaborative community, and we thank our Participants for sharing our commitment.