NMMI Historical Timeline

 

September 3, 1891

Goss Military Institute established by Colonel Robert S. Goss with aid from Captain and Mrs. Joseph C. Lea

1893

Territorial legislature approves bill recognizing Goss Military Institute as a territorial school, therein, becoming New Mexico Military Institute

1895  

J.J. Hagerman donates 40 acres of land for NMMI’s permanent home

1895-1898

Temporarily closed due to financial issues

1898

New Mexico Military Institute reopens its doors and names Colonel J.G. Meadors as Superintendent.

1901                      

Colonel J.G. Meadors resigns and Colonel J.W. Willson becomes Superintendent.

1905                      

Major D.C. Pearson named Commandant

1909                      

Received first classification as a Distinguished Military School

1909                      

First section of the Hagerman Barracks completed

1915                      

NMMI formally became a junior college

1916                      

NMMI Became a member of the Reserve Officer Training Corps

1916                      

H.P. Saunders, Jr., becomes Commandant of Cadets

1917                      

First accredited by the North Central Associate of College and Secondary Schools

1917-1919     

NMMI sent 710 alumni to World War I

1918        

Luna Natatorium built, housing the first indoor pool west of the Mississippi

1918                      

Bates Dining Hall constructed and named in honor of NMMI’s first commissary officer, Major R.L. Bates

1920                      

NMMI infirmary built

1922                      

Colonel James W. Willson dies suddenly and Colonel J.C. Troutman becomes Superintendent

1924                      

Sally Port constructed and becomes one of NMMI’s most iconic symbols

1925                      

Enrollment increased twofold

1926                      

Colonel D.C. Pearson appointed Superintendent

1927 

NMMI opens summer camp near Ruidoso. Camp Carrizo was sold during World War II.

1928                      

Willson Hall built

1929                      

Cahoon Armory built and named for E.A. Cahoon, long time Board of Regents member

1931                      

Quarters 1 and J. Ross Thomas Memorial (JRT) Building constructed

1936                      

Quarters 2 and 3 constructed

1937                      

Works Progress Administration (WPA) construct stables for 140 horses

1938                      

Lusk Hall constructed

1940                      

Lea Hall built on the site of the old Headquarters building

1940                      

Pearson Auditorium opens

1941-1945 

Over 3,000 cadets served in World War II

1947                      

H.P. Saunders, Jr., retires as Commandant after 31 years of service and Colonel D.C. Pearson                                      retires as Superintendent after 21 years. General Hugh M. Milton appointed as Superintendent.

1947                      

Calvary Program discontinued

1948                      

NMMI Board of Regents approve creation of four year college

1951                      

General Milton called to Active Duty and NMMI Principal Ewing L. Lusk named acting Superintendent

1951                      

Last section of Hagerman barracks built

1952                       

Colonel Charles F. Ward replaces Lusk as Superintendent

1952                      

Broncos win National Polo Championship against Princeton

1954                      

Broncos win second National Polo Championship against Yale. The polo program was discontinued a month later.

1954                      

Three cadets – Vertress, Moore and Vlahopoulas – die in a pool accident while preparing for Final Ball

1955                      

VMV Hall dedicated in honor of Vertress, Moore and Vlahopoulas

1955                      

NMMI reverts to junior college and Lieutenant General Hobart Gay appointed as Superintendent

1957                      

Dow Hall constructed

1961                      

McClure Hall opens and is dedicated to Colonel John McClure who taught chemistry at NMMI from 1905 to 1948

1963                      

Major General Sam Agee selected as Superintendent

1965                      

Headquarters Building dedicated to Ewing L. Lusk and Infirmary dedicated to longtime NMMI surgeon Dr. I.J. Marshall

1964                      

Original Saunders Barracks constructed

1972                      

Major General Agee retires and Colonel C. Robert Kembel selected as Superintendent

1975                      

Alumni Memorial Chapel is built with contributions from alumni and friends

1977                      

25 women matriculate into NMMI: fifteen college cadets and ten high school

1977                      

Brigadier General resigns as Superintendent and Brigadier General Gerald Childress assumes position

1980                      

Godfrey Athletic Center opens and dedicated to former cadet L.T. “Babe” Godfrey

1981                      

Luna Natatorium transitions into the McBride Museum

1982                      

Bronco Football discontinued

1983                      

Bronco Plaza dedicated

1985                      

Toles Learning Center opens and named after alumni J. Penrod Toles

1986                      

McBride Museum opens in Luna Hall

1989

Brigadier General Donald S. Stuart assumes Superintendency

1990

Lieutenant General Winfield W. Scott, Jr. appointed Superintendent

1991                      

NMMI recognizes its Centennial with a year long celebration

1991-1992     

Bronco Baseball and Football authorized to begin

1994                      

Saunders Barracks torn down and re-built

1996 

Lieutenant General Robert D. Beckel appointed Superintendent

1997                      

Horse program discontinued

1998                      

Corps lead by first female Regimental Commander, Heather Christensen of Roswell

2000                       

Received an unusual 10 year accreditation from the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools

2003                      

John White from Houston, Texas becomes the first African-American Regimental Commander

2004                      

Luis Aranda becomes first Regimental Commander from Mexico

2004                      

Rear Admiral David R. Ellison becomes first Naval Flag Officer named Superintendent

2006                      

McBride Museum transitions into the Student Assistant Center and Alumni Relations and Institutional Relations Office (Luna Hall)

2006                      

Daniels Leadership Center constructed, named after alumni and cable television pioneer Bill Daniels

2009                      

Dow Hall renovated

2009                      

Major General Jerry W. Grizzle becomes the first Army National Guard officer named Superintendent

2010  

Dow and Luna Halls rededicated

2011                      

Pearson Auditorium remodeled and rededicated