New Mexico Military Institute is the nation's oldest state-supported co-educational college preparatory military high school and junior college.
On September 3, 1891 the Goss Military Academy was founded through the efforts of Captain James C. Lea and Colonel Robert Goss with an initial enrollment of 28 students, including female students. The school was the first in New Mexico to adopt military features. The Academy was later made a territorial school and received its current title of New Mexico Military Institute in February 1893.
In 1906, the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) was introduced. In 1909, the War Department designated the Institute as one of the ten distinguished military schools in the nation, a distinction the Institute has earned annually since.
In 1915, the Institute took on its modern form when the junior college was inaugurated. The Institute now had a four-year high school and a two-year junior college. NMMI quickly became recognized throughout New Mexico and the nation as a pioneer in education and the development of young people. In 1977, full-time female students were "re-enrolled" and their numbers have steadily grown since.